Landrum 2013 Teacher of the Year - Amarilys William

Amarilys William
Landrum Middle School
Science, 6th Grade

Education: Aero Borinquen, Puerto Rico, Airline and Travel Agency Operations, 1998, InterAmerican University of Puerto Rico, Bachelor of Arts, Junior High Science, 1999-2005

Teaching History: Landrum Middle School, 6th Grade Science, 2010-Present, Spring Forest Middle School, 6th & 7th Grade Science, 2008-2010, Luis Negron Lopez High School, Puerto Rico, Support Teacher, 2007-08 & 2005-06, Segunda Unidad David Antongiorgi, Puerto Rico, English Teacher, 2006-07, Luis Munoz Rivera Elementary School, Teacher Assistant, 2005, Colegio San Augustin y Espiritu Santo, 6-8th Grade Science, 2003

In her own words: “My grandmother helped shape my life and she inspires me. She was a very strong, generous, honest and loving woman. She was the director of the nursing department at the Veterans Hospital in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico. She was also a lay ecclesial minister and I loved watching her preach and work with people. She helped so many people and that is something that really shaped my character and life.”

“I am the type of teacher who makes the students actively work for their learning, and I reward them for their hard work. Every semester, they can earn science toys such as microscopes and telescopes if they produce the best grades. If students do well on a test, they may receive a voucher for a cafeteria treat or a dinner party after school with my family and other students. My students are like my own children, and I will make sure that I praise them when they do well. In the same way, I correct them when they are not on the right path to success.”

In the words of others: “The success of our school and that of our students is built on the foundation of educators resembling Mrs. William. I believe she epitomizes the attributes of an outstanding teacher and role model.” Luis Pratts, Landrum Middle School Principal

“From blowing rockets 200 feet in the air to making online interactive lessons, students are always engaged in her class. She is a master at the craft of teaching.” Brian Shillingburg, Landrum Middle School Assistant Principal

“Amarilys’ students have no choice but to love the subject of science as much as she does. She makes them all want to come to her class and learn – every day.” Karen Nickel, Landrum Middle School Science Department Chair

  • Selected Honors, Recognitions and Activities:
  • NASA Field Trip Coordinator, 2012
  • Jason Project Cadre Recognition, 2012

0 comments:

Spring Branch ISD