Hollibrook 2013 Teacher of the Year - Headiyeh Matthews

Headiyeh Matthews
Hollibrook Elementary
Fifth-Grade Master Teacher

Education: Brock University, Hamilton, Canada, Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education, 2007, York University, Toronto, Canada, Bachelor of Arts in Economics, 2006

Teaching History: Hollibrook Elementary School, Fifth Grade, 2012-2013, Hollibrook Elementary School, Fourth & Fifth Grades, Fourth Grade Math & Science, 2008-2012, Spring Branch ISD, Substitute Teacher, 2007-2008

In her own words: “My greatest contribution to education is my steadfast belief that every student can learn. Creating an inclusive classroom where all students believe in themselves and realize their full potential, strive to always better themselves, are problem solvers, responsible citizens and lifelong learners is my mission as a teacher. I create such an environment by placing great value on education and discussing our district mission of T-2-4 with my students.”

“Many of my students have not had the experiences that other school-aged children have had so I try to open their eyes to see a world outside of what they know…I share stories of my childhood growing up in Canada, like the snow that I would play in during our harsh winter months, what school was like for me and the challenges I was faced with in high school when it came to learning, and how I overcame those challenges.”

“The greatest reward I find in teaching is seeing my students grow academically, socially and emotionally. I have been fortunate enough to loop with my fourth-grade classes to fifth grade. Over the span of two years with my group of students, I have seen growth, maturity and the development of great self-confidence.”

In the words of others: “To Headiyeh, teaching is not just about the academics, it is also about growing the whole child. Headiyeh sees her profession as a calling to advocate for all students. She chooses to work at a high at-risk campus knowing that our students have a variety of needs, which are not only about the academics. Headiyeh knows that to reach our students, we must work with parents and help them develop parenting skills.” Elsa Delgado, Hollibrook Elementary Principal

Selected Honors, Awards & Activities:
Campus Instructional Leadership Team, 2012-Present
Fifth-Grade Team Leader, 2012-Present
Master Teacher, 2012
Mentor Teacher, 2011-Present
Teacher of the Year Nominee, Hollibrook Elementary, 2008-2012

0 comments:

Spring Branch ISD