Stratford High School 2014 Teacher of the Year - Karl Poetzl

Karl Poetzl
Stratford High School
Grades 9-12, Mathematics

Education                                                 
St. Mary’s University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, Minn.) Special Education Certification, 2009    
Beloit College (Beloit, WI.) Bachelor of Arts, Mathematics & Anthropology, 1996








Teaching History                                    
Stratford High School, Spring Branch ISD, 2011-Present
School District of Beloit (Beloit, Wis.), 2002-2010
Beloit College Athletic Dept. (Beloit, Wis.), 2001-2010
Spring Forest Elementary, Spring Branch ISD, Multiple years
Substitute, Spring Branch ISD, 1997-2001
Beloit College Summer Sports Camp, 1997-Present

16 years total of teaching experience

In his own words…

“My message would be similar to the lessons I learned while working with disabled students. We have to examine and treat each student as an individual with their own set of strengths and weaknesses. Our goals should set the framework to the bigger picture: Our students should have the competence to think in complex ways and apply their knowledge and skills.”

In the words of others…

“I met Mr. Poetzl in one of the worst moments of my life. I had just finished my second year of summer school trying to get original credit for another dreaded math class. At the beginning of my junior year, the counselor told me that I was going to have a brand new teacher. . . . This year as a senior, I am proud to say that I have a B average in AP Statistics that Mr. Poetzl teaches as well. He has helped me grow as an individual feeling confident of my abilities, and I have had the opportunity to see a brand new teacher grow into a magnificent educator.”
Abigail White, Stratford High Class of 2014 Graduate

“Karl supports his students outside the classroom by going to many Stratford events. His weeknights and many weekends are filled with Stratford sporting events, visual arts, and any other extracurricular event that his students may be involved in. . . . He is intentional about the development and growth of all students as whole people, and constantly acts in order to help students gain their fullest potential. “
Jen Clouse, Stratford High teacher

Selected Honors, Awards & Activities:
 Team 242, Co-Founder, 2003-Present

Houston Audubon Society, Member, Present

0 comments:

Spring Branch ISD