Ridgecrest Elementary 2014 Teacher of the Year - Lorenza V. Garay

Lorenza V. Garay
Ridgecrest Elementary
Grade 2, Two-Way Dual Language

Education
University Houston Downtown (Houston, Texas), Bachelor of Arts, Interdisciplinary Studies, - Bilingual
University of Houston (Houston, Texas), Cum Laude,  2010
Houston Community College, Associates Degree of Arts

Teaching History
Spring Branch ISD, Ridgecrest Elementary School, 2011-present
Neighborhood Centers Inc, 2003-2011

Three years total of teaching experience

In her own words…

"I remind them [my students] that dreams can come true. This one year, one [of] my students asked me what my dream was. without a thought my response to him was, 'I live my dream every day when I am here teaching in the classroom.'"

In the words of others . . .

“Mrs. Garay is an over-comer, a problem-solver, an innovator, and a dynamic member of our 4th grade team. Her enthusiasm, love, and passion for teaching our second language learner from poverty cannot be rivaled by any other candidate.”
Ridgecrest Elementary School Principal Patricia Thomas

Mrs. Garay “builds sound relationships with her students and is committed to learning about them and their interest so that she can speak on each of them on a more personal level. She knows who is playing on a soccer team, what each student’s pet is named, and what students are looking forward to having a new baby brother or sister soon.”
Christine Tuckett, 4th Grade Teacher, Ridgecrest Elementary

Selected Honors, Awards & Activities:
J. Landon Short Mini Grant for Educators, recipient, 2013
Cum Lade, University of Houston, 2010

0 comments:

Spring Branch ISD