2013 Teacher of the Year Finalist - Victoria Beard

Victoria Beard
Spring Woods High School
Speech and Debate Teacher and Coach

Education: University of Houston, Master of Arts in Drama, 1982 Houston Baptist University, Bachelor of Arts in Drama and Speech, 1980

Teaching History: Spring Woods High School, Speech and Debate Teacher and Coach, 2005-Present Northbrook High School, English, Speech and Drama Teacher, 1985-2005 Landrum Junior High School, Speech and Drama Teacher, 1984-1985 Paul Revere Middle School, Houston ISD, English, Speech/Drama Teacher, 1982-84 School for Theater Arts, Houston, TX, Acting Teacher, 1982-83 Actor, Management and Industrial Training Films, 1981

In her own words: “In my debate program, I impart the value to higher education to my students and make sure all of them attend college. Since most of them are on free or reduced-price lunch, I counsel them to ensure that all are on the right path to graduation. One example is the graduate two years ago who became our top debater and was ranked 15th in the nation in Congressional Debate. Since his parents spoke no English, I helped him with applications, proofread his college essays, as well as advised him on the colleges where he should apply. Not only did he receive a full scholarship to attend George Washington University, he’ll graduate in a few years and pursue a law degree.”

“This year, I have helped many of my students. I have 10 debaters graduating. Most of their parents can not afford to pay for any college tuition so I assist them with scholarships and grants. This year, we have had another top debater who has received a full scholarship to George Washington University located in the District of Columbia. Students understand that a college degree will make them successful leaders of tomorrow.”

In the words of others: “When Mrs. Beard took over our debate program seven years ago, it was floundering with poor participation and even poorer success. In just a few short years, she has turned the program into a powerhouse. The walls of her debate room are covered in trophies and hardly a weekend goes by without me receiving a text message from her about how well her kids have done in a tournament.”

“Her enthusiasm is contagious. In the past year, teachers on our campus have recognized her as both our Campus Teacher of the Year and the recipient of the Jim Moore Award, a campus award that recognizes the teacher who has gone above and beyond for students.” Spring Woods High School Principal Lance Stallworth

“I would not be the person I am today if it were not for Mrs. Beard. When I first met Mrs. Beard, I had lived in the United States for merely seven years and had yet to figure out where I belonged in this new world I had been put in. When I left Mrs. Beard’s team, I was nationally ranked among the students who could most effectively articulate politics and the inner workings of the American government, and had found a new passion both academically and professionally.” Silverio Ramirez, former Spring Woods High debate student now studying at George Washington University in Washington, D.C.

Selected Honors, Recognitions & Activities: Stars in the Classroom Award (Houston Texans and First Community Credit Union), 2012 Diamond Key Award, National Forensic League, 2011 Texas Forensic Association Convention workshop instructor, 2011-2012 Jim Moore Memorial Award, Spring Woods High School, 2011-2012 Teacher of the Year, Northbrook High School, 2001 Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers, 1998, 2000, 2001 and 2004

0 comments:

Spring Branch ISD