Campus Teacher of the Year 2016 - Kelly Harkins

Kelly Harkins
Spring Forest Middle School
6th through 8th Grade, Theatre Arts

Education
Bachelor of Arts in Drama and History, University of Houston, 2006

Teaching History
Spring Forest Middle School, 2013-Present
Miller Intermediate School, Alief ISD, 2006-2013

Total Years in Education - 10 Years

In his own words . . .


“I love my job and what I do. I love letting kids know that it’s okay to use their imaginations outside of a writing prompt that says: ‘Using your imagination, create a story with bling blang blork blah blah…’ I love seeing a kid skip instead of walk. I love seeing a kid burst out into an impromptu love song about pickles. I love seeing a kid give the absolute worst Donald Trump impression. I love seeing a kid make a discovery that may be mundane to one student but fascinating to another. I love the time that I spend with them. I love seeing the kid that stumbles and finds a way to pick himself up, and if he can’t pick himself up . . . I also love Dr. Pepper, Gummy Wurms, and Peanut M&Ms.”

In the words of others . . .

“I am always mesmerized and enlightened by Mr. Harkins’ students as they are always actively engaged, extremely comfortable, and free to utilize their creative expression abilities to perform their monologs and/or practice for upcoming productions in front of their peers.” 

Bryan Taulton, Spring Forest Middle School Assistant Principal 

0 comments:

Spring Branch ISD