Campus Secondary 2016 Teacher of the Year Finalist - Michael Ortiz

Michael Ortiz
The Guthrie Center for Excellence
9th through 12th Grade - Digital Filmmaking


Education

Masters of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, University of Texas at Arlington, Pending
Bachelor of Science in Radio, Television, and Film, University of Texas, 2008


Teaching History

The Guthrie Center for Excellence, 2010-Present

Total Years in Education - 6 Years


In his own words . . .

“Education is a gift that keeps on giving and I feel compelled to pay it forward and teach and inspire the next student who may not believe in him or herself or in what their future potential may be. When I look at some of the students that walk through my door I instantly think ‘There but for the grace of God goes I.’ And with time, patience, and some good teaching, I know I can make a positive difference in my students’ lives.

In the words of others . . .

“Some teachers get frustrated dealing with difficult students and after a while will wonder how they can get them out of their class. I’ve never heard that from Michael Ortiz. What I do hear is, ‘Hey Joe, what can I do to help this student, I’ve tried this and that with few results and need some ideas.’ Those words seem like they are from a powerful scene in an Oscar-winning film to any school administrator, and exactly what we want our own children to experience with their teachers.”
Joe Kolenda, The Guthrie Center for Excellence Director

“Mr. Ortiz persistently asked me about college applications and FAFSA, offering guidance even after I told him that I wasn’t sure I would attend college. The level of interest he showed for each of his students went far beyond his class, and his vision for my future and my colleagues’ propelled us further than we could have gone on our own willpower.”
Emily Garza, Previous Student of Mr. Ortiz

0 comments:

Spring Branch ISD