Campus Secondary 2015 Teacher of the Year - Andrew Maddocks

Andrew Maddocks
Westchester Academy for International Studies
6th-12th Grade - Theatre Arts, Technical Theatre, International Baccalaureate (IB) Theatre

Education
University of Houston-Downtown, Master of Arts in Teaching, 2013
University of Houston-Downtown, Bachelor of Arts in English, 2005

Teaching History
Westchester Academy (WAIS), Theatre Arts, Technical Theatre, International Baccalaureate (IB) Theatre, 2012-Present
Westchester Academy (WAIS), Grades 6-12, Spanish; Grades 6-8, Dual Language, 2007-2012

Total Years in Education - 7 Years

In his own words . . .

“I’m a product of Spring Branch IDSD. I attended Housman Elementary, Landrum Middle and Northbrook High School. I had several wonderful and inspirational leaders who taught me to love learning. As I faced personal challenges and health scares, my teachers went above and beyond to let me know I was loved, that I was more than a face in a chair to them. They showed me that teaching does not start, nor end, in the classroom. If you’re passionate about what you do, people around you can feel that. They may never love the subject you teach, but they will never be able to deny that it left an impression. Education can change preconceived notions. Watching that passion ignite in the hearts and minds of my students, and seeing it change them, is what inspires me most.”

In the words of others . . .

“Andrew is the first teacher to tackle the difficult art of a Shakespearean play and produce it beautifully. He did not shy away from the complexities, but tackled them head on. He never doubted the kids’ potential and it showed in their performance. The confidence they possessed and still portray is a direct reflection of his efforts.”  
- Lindsey Faliero, Westchester Academy Choral and Musical Theatre Deparment Director and IB Music Teacher

“He was instrumental in putting lesson plans online and cheerfully solved various computer difficulties. He volunteered for several school committees and was deeply involved, not just showing up for meetings. His dedication to making students and the school “the best” is evident in any task he undertakes.”   
- Janet Smith, Westchester Academy Foreign Languages Department Chair

0 comments:

Spring Branch ISD